It’ll be bacon you crazy how good these cupcakes are! Please excuse the awful play on words. As this post is dedicated to bacon, it deserves a little “umph” if you will.
Yes… bacon. They say that everything tastes better with bacon, and it is absolutely true. I swear, everybody freaked out at how delicious these maple bacon cupcakes were after they got over the initial “what? bacon cupcakes?” moment. They taste like the fluffiest pancake you’ve ever had coupled with the sweet tang of maple syrup and the salty crunch of bacon. In short, they are heavenly. AND because they are so easy to make (the recipe I found at http://www.thegingerbreadblog.com/ uses boxed cake mix!) you owe it to yourself and other bacon-lovers in your life to try them at least once.
Here’s how to do it:
- Make cupcakes with your favorite yellow cake recipe or boxed cake mix. While they’re in the oven, cook the bacon and let it cool completely. Cut into pieces or crumble by hand!
- After the cupcakes have cooled, poke a small hole in them using a butter knife. Pour a little bit of maple syrup into the hole to let the cupcake soak it up.
- Next, create the frosting by blending together:
- 8 oz. package softened cream cheese
- 1\2 cup maple syrup
- 2 1\2 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1\2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1\2 cups powdered sugar